Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas Organizing

Well folks, it's that time again.... Christmas panicking organizing! I like to have this completely done by now, but we kinda have a new baby in the house. And we're kinda just now settling into a good routine that let's me get some things done. So. I realized today I have to be packed for Texas by Friday, and it's the last week of school for Tony, which means we will have a flood of goodies coming in, and we will be exchanging the first gifts this weekend, which means I need to do wrapping, and - well, you get the point. So here is my list for the next two days (we'll see how much said baby let's me get done!):

1. Laundry - folded, and put away.

2. Tidy up house so I can think.

3. Update packing lists, since for us holidays means traveling. James doesn't even have one yet, and Cadence's needs have changed since the last update to hers (i.e., spit-up bucket in the van).

4. Choose clothes for everyone for every event, no matter how small, and every church service, between now and January. Now, I know what you're thinking - that's a bit over the top, isn't it? Lot's of extra work, for not any rewards? I've found though, that this is the number one thing that keeps us sane through December, especially since we had kids. And it's really not so difficult! So I'll expound, on both the purpose and the method.
Purpose: Have clothes chosen, clean, ironed, and completely ready to go so when we are making our mad dash, running late, to wherever, all we have to do is grab the next thing in line and throw it on. No thinking, no choosing, no trying to figure our if we've already worn it this holiday season, no running to the garage to dig through the clean laundry (because, let's face it, that's where the clean laundry will be!), and no ironing.
Method: Grab everything holiday/extra cute from everyone's wardrobe, iron as needed, and, with calendar in hand, hang assembled outfits in my closet in the order they will be worn. I used to just do it in indivudual closets, but now Cadence chooses her own clothes on regular days, and I don't want her grabbing from my stash -  plus sometimes I dress James while she is still napping, so I would need his clothes out of there anyway.
No waking up on Christmas morning and wondering what we will wear for us! This also includes everything I will pack to go to Texas and Tulsa, which will make that significantly easier.

5. Clean out space in the pantry for incoming goodies.

6. Designate a basket in the top of my closet (which happens to be relatively empty right now) for incoming gifts that don't have a home yet.

7. Make lists of everything extra we will be taking when we go to each celebration or event, such as gifts to go to Christmas at Grandma Chancellor's, the records I will be taking to Mommy's, etc.

8. Try to relax and enjoy the holidays!

I'm sure there are other things I will do, but that is all I can think of right now... I already stocked up on easy meals to cut down on dinnertime stress and last-minute trips to fast food, and put all our gifts that still need to be wrapped (something else I like to already have done by now... oh well, he's cute ;D) in with the wrapping paper. So, I guess now I'd better get up off my lazy bones and actually get started!

P.S. I would love to hear any ideas/suggestions/etc. you use to make your holidays run smoothly!

No comments: